Associate Professor, Department of Nursing Science Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Program Coordinator
"Nursing is an amazing profession with so many opportunities. With millions of people in the US lacking access to high quality healthcare, there has never been a better time to become a doctorally-prepared nurse practitioner. The DNP program at Saint Mary's College offers a highly personalized educational experience that is delivered by faculty with a passion for student success."
Sue Anderson has been a Family Nurse Practitioner since 1997, and has practiced in otolaryngology for the past 16 years. Her research interest is in giving voice to people in vulnerable groups who have been silenced. Her dissertation investigated the leisure time physical activities in which Hispanic/Latino children engage. She is currently collecting data with men in nursing, and hopes to conduct a future study with transgendered people. Her research expertise is with photographic methods.
PhD, Nursing, University of Arizona
MSN, Purdue University Calumet
BSN, Indiana University South Bend
Area of Expertise
Graduate Courses Taught
NURS 682: X-Ray Interpretation
NURS 701: DNP Practice Innovation I
NURS 702: DNP Practice Innovation II
NURS 704: DNP Practive Innovation IV
Indiana University South Bend, Assistant Professor, Nursing, 2012-2017
University of Arizona, Clinical Instructor, 2012-2016
Campbell Ear, Nose & Throat, Granger, IN, Family Nurse Practitioner, 2001-present
Indiana University South Bend, Lecturer, Nursing, 1998-2012
Holm Memorial Clinic, Plymouth, IN, Family Nurse Practitioner, 1997-2001
Indiana University South Bend, Visiting Lecturer, Nursing, 1995-1998
Memorial Hospital of South Bend, Emergency Trauma Center Registered Nurse, 1993-1996
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET), 2013
- University of Arizona College of Nursing Mary Opal Wolanin Outstanding Dissertation Award for Excellence in Nursing with Vulnerable Populations, 2011
- Trustees Teaching Award, 2004, 2005, 2011, 2016
- IU South Bend School of Nursing Alumni of the Year, 2003
- Indiana University School of Nursing, McCaffrey Award, 1993
- Army Nurse Corps Spirit of Nursing Award, 1993
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- National Association of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- Transcultural Nursing Society
- Coalition of Advanced Practice Nurses in Indiana (CAPNI)
- Nursing Research Consortium of North Central Indiana
Fox, M., Anderson, T., Anderson, S. (2017). Food taxes: Can you control behavior and health outcomes through taxation? American Journal of Medical Research, 4(1), 93-110.
Anderson, S. (2016). Activities with purpose: A description of Hispanic children's leisure time. Manuscript in revision. Submitted to the Journal of Transcultural Nursing.
Zlotnick, C., Anderson, S., & Heaslip, V. (2016). Case-Oriented, Cross-Country Comparison of Health Systems in Three High Income Countries (UK, Israel and the US) to Examine Accessibility to Vulnerable Populations. Submitted to European Journal of Public Health.