Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science Chair of Department of Mathematics
“Our program is a blend of a strong theoretical foundation with a solid practical component. Graduates will have the communication and management skills necessary for a professional. Additionally, they will have considered the ethical issues they may face in their work. The graduate will be knowledgeable, creative, and confident.”
Chair of the Department of Mathematics since 2008, Joanne Snow’s established career at Saint Mary’s College began in 1983. She received the College’s Maria Pieta Award in 1993, the Spes Unica Award in 2010, and the Women Honoring Women Award in 2004 and 2013, which is given by students. She regularly teaches linear algebra, and her research interests include cryptography, real analysis, and the education strategies of mathematics.
PhD, University of Notre Dame
MS, University of Notre Dame
BA, Loyola College of Baltimore
Area of Expertise
Education strategies in mathematics
History of mathematics
History of mathematics
Graduate Courses Taught
MATH 527: Applied linear algebra
- Saint Mary’s College, Professor, 2003
- Saint Mary’s College, Associate Professor, 1990–2003
- Saint Mary’s College, Assistant Professor, 1983–1990
- University of Notre Dame, Visiting Assistant Professor, 1982–1983
- Loyola College, Visiting Assistant Professor (part-time), 1982–1982
- University of Munster, Wissenschaftliche Hilfskraft, 1979–1981
Awards and Honors
- Women Honoring Women Award, given by the students of Saint Mary’s College, 2013
- Spes Unica Award, 2010
- Women Honoring Women Award, given by the students of Saint Mary’s College, 2004
- Maria Pieta Award, 1993
Association for Women in Mathematics, 1982–present
Canadian Society for History and Philosophy of Mathematics, 2001–present
Mathematical Association of America, 1985–present
- “Designing Laboratory Exercises for Upper Division Math Courses.” Workshop. Project NEx workshop in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Aug. 2–3, 2005.
- "Using a Labratory Approach in the Teaching of Real Analysis," presented at the Joint Math Meetings, New Orleans, Louisiana, Jan. 7, 2007.
- With Colleen Hoover. “Faith and Reason in the Life and Work of Mathematician Marston Morse.” Lecture sponsored by the Center for Spirituality.
- With Colleen Hoover. “Mathematician as Artist: Marston Morse.” The Mathematical Intelligencer 32, no. 2, (2010):11–18.
- “Views on the Real Numbers and the Continuum,” Review of Modern Logic, 9 (2003): 95-113.