Director of Clinical Education, Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders Judd Leighton Speech and Language Clinic
"I believe that this program has been a long awaited addition to higher education in our area. I have been a community member for over 30 years, and the shortage of speech language pathologists has steadily grown since my arrival in 1985. I have always felt a special calling to be a mentor to new graduates in the field, to graduate clinicians and for young people trying to discern their life's work. Our program is unique for several reasons. The community support is one of them, and the other is our decision to train and educate new professionals in the field of telepractice in speech language pathology. It is imperative that we, as a profession, get this aspect of service provision right; for the benefit of our clients, students, and the profession at large."
Janet Lovett MS, CCC-SLP, is Director of Clinical Education, in which she builds relationships with community organizations which provide practicum placements for graduate and undergraduate students. Lovett is also director of the Judd Leighton Speech and Language Clinic at Saint Mary's College. Prior to teaching at Saint Mary's, Lovett worked for 33 years as a speech language pathologist in a variety of private practice settings. In her most recent position with Memorial Hospital Children’s Therapy Center, she was responsible for evaluation and treatment of children with communication and oral motor disorders.
MS, University of Michigan
BA, University of Michigan
Area of Expertise
Pediatric communication disorders
Pediatric therapy methods
Graduate Courses Taught
CSD 585: Clinical practicum – on campus
CSD 587: Clinical practicum – off campus
- Saint Mary's College, Director of Clinical Education and Director of the Judd Leighton Speech and Language Clinic, 2013–present
- Saint Mary's College, Adjunct Professor and Clinical Supervisor, 2011–present
- Memorial Hospital Children's Therapy Center, Speech Language Pathologist III, 2005–present
- Joint Services for Special Education of Penn Harris Madison School Corporation and School City of Mishawaka, Speech Language Pathologist, 2001–2005
- Logan Building Blocks for the First Steps Program of St. Joseph’s County and Elkhart County, Speech Language Pathologist, 2004-2005
- First Steps, Speech Language Pathologist, 1999–2004
- Holy Cross Care Services, Inc., Corporate Director of Rehabilitation, 1997–1999
- Holy Cross Care and Rehabilitation Center, Director of Rehabilitation, 1994–1997
- Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center, Director of Speech Language Pathology, 1985–1992
American Speech Language and Hearing Association
Indiana Speech Language and Hearing Association, 1981–present
Early Intervention Certification, First Steps, 1999–2005
- With Carol Graham, "Understanding Visual and Auditory Processing: Case presentation." Co-presenter. Pediatric Symposium at LOGAN Center, South Bend, Indiana, May 12, 2012.
- With Carol Graham, "Central Auditory Processing Disorders." Co-presenter. Saint Joseph's Grade School, South Bend, Indiana, Feb. 8, 2012.
- "Early Intervention and Oral Motor Tips for Children with Down Syndrome." Presenter. Down Syndrome Society of Michiana, South Bend, Indiana, Jan. 25, 2012.
- "Make and Take Social Stories: Training for Parents." Presenter. Memorial Hospital Children's Therapy Center, South Bend, Indiana, Mar. 29, 2011.