Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
“The Master of Science in Data Science program is a great opportunity for our faculty to extend the work we do with a close-knit community of undergraduates in mathematics and computer science fields to students interested in graduate level work in a cutting-edge field. In particular, I am very excited to approach a subject that I have taught for years—linear algebra—from a more applied angle with a particular emphasis on using the tools of linear algebra to analyze data. For me, this is a chance to explore new ideas and applications of a field that I love with a new community of learners who share my interests.”
Colleen Hoover’s interests lie in the areas of abstract and linear algebra, and she has also helped foster the importance of mathematics education since her arrival at Saint Mary’s in 1997. She organized Hypatia Day for several years, sparking an interest in math in middle school aged girls. She was coordinator and instructor for the Reach for the Numbers program in conjunction with South Bend Community School Corporation and funded by an Indiana Dept. of Education K-12 Math Initiatives Grant. In 2002, she received the College’s Maria Pieta Award. She co-authored the book Visual Math Dictionary, which won the iParenting Media Award in 2008.
PhD, Mathematics, University of Notre Dame
MS, Mathematics, University of Notre Dame
BA, Mathematics, English, University of Dayton
Area of Expertise
History of mathematics
Mathematics education strategies
History of mathematics, particularly Marston Morse
Graduate Courses Taught
MATH 527: Applied linear algebra
Saint Mary’s College
- Associate Professor of Mathematics, 2003–present
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, 1999–2003
- Instructor of Mathematics,1997–1999
- Adjunct Professor of Mathematics,1996–1997
University of Notre Dame, Course Instructor, Teaching Assistant, 1993–1996
University of Dayton, Teaching Assistant, 1989–1991
Awards and Honors
- iParenting Media Award for the Visual Math Dictionary, 2008
- Finalist for the Distinguished Achievement Award for Excellence in Educational Publishing by the Association of Education Publishers, for the Visual Math Dictionary, 2008
- Maria Pieta Award, Saint Mary's College, May 2002
- Clare Booth Luce Fellowship, University of Notre Dame, 1991–1993
- American Mathematical Society, 1999-2011
- History of Mathematics Special Interest Group of the MAA, 2003-2011
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA), 2012-present
- Pi Mu Epsilon (Mathematics honor society), 1989-present
- With Joanne Snow. “Faith and Reason in the Life and Work of Marston Morse.” Believing Scholars series, sponsored by the Center for Spirituality, Saint Mary’s College, Oct. 2010.
- “Garden-variety Symmetry.” Undergraduate Mathematics Day, University of Dayton, Nov. 2007.
- With Don Balka, Mary Porter. “Reach for the Numbers: A Mathematics Initiative for ELL Teachers.” Gallery workshop at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Regional Conference and Exposition in Chicago, IL, Sept. 2006.
- With Mary Porter. “A Mathematics Partnership with ESL Teachers: The Second Year.” Joint Meetings of the American Mathematical Society (AMS) and the Mathematical Association of America (MAA), San Antonio, TX, Jan. 2006.
- With Mary Porter, Zsuzsanna Szaniszlo. “In-service Training Programs for K-12 Teachers.” Panel presentation, the spring meeting of the Indiana Section of the MAA in Fort Wayne, IN, Apr. 2005.
- With Joanne Snow. “Marston Morse: the Man, the Mathematician, the Humanist.” CoSTAR presentation, Saint Mary’s College Inauguration Symposium, Jan. 2005.
- With Mary Porter. “A Mathematics Partnership Program for Teachers of ESL Students.” Joint Meetings of the AMS and MAA, Atlanta, GA, Jan. 2005.
Snow, Joanne, Colleen Hoover, and Steven Broad. "1917: The Thesis of Marston Morse" (contributed to the article "The Pi Mu Epsilon 100th Anniversary Problems: Part I"). The Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, Vol. 13, No. 9 (Fall 2013), 514-515.
Hoover, Colleen M. and Joanne E. Snow. "Mathematician as Artist: Marston Morse." The Mathematical Intelligencer, Vol. 32, No. 2 (Summer, 2010), Springer Science + Business Media, LLC, 11-18.
Hoover, Colleen M., Don Balka, et al. The Visual Mathematics Dictionary. Rowley, MA: Didax Educational Resources, 2007.
Buechler, Steven A. and Colleen M. Hoover. "The Classification of Small Types of Rank w, Part I." The Journal of Symbolic Logic 66 (December, 2001), 1884-1898.