Commencement is an exciting time on every college campus bringing family and friends together to celebrate one of life’s most significant milestones. Earning your graduate degree from Saint Mary’s, you are prepared to tackle new challenges, create opportunities, lead your profession, and make your community a better place. We are proud of your achievements and look forward to following your career and continued success.
We hope you will participate in Commencement as a way of sharing this great accomplishment with your fellow classmates, as well as with the families who have supported you on your journey.
This website provides important information for graduate students regarding graduation and the activities scheduled for Commencement. Please visit the College’s Commencement website for additional information and ticket policies.
To help you prepare for commencement, here’s what you need to know – and do – to be ready for graduation day.
- Complete the petition for graduation form and return to the Registrar’s Office by Febraury 1
- Make housing arrangements
- Consider attending the Graduation Fair on Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 11 am to 5 pm in Rice Commons, Student Center
- You can order your cap, gown, and hood, buy a class ring, speak with Financial Aid, join the alumni association, and prepare for graduation. For those not able to attend, information will be emailed to you.
- Buy your cap, gown and hood by April 1
- Call the Bookstore at (574) 284-4719 to order.
- All orders made placed on or before March 27 will receive a 10% discount.
- Orders can be picked up at the Bookstore or shipped (shipping fees apply).
- Buying your academic attire for masters degrees will cost approximately $80. Buying your academic attire for doctoral degrees will cost approximately $127.
- If you fail to order by April 1, we cannot guarantee academic attire in your size.
- Confirm that there is no hold on your student account
- If you have a hold on your account, you will not be able to order transcripts or receive your diploma.
- You are responsible for resolving the hold. Contact the office that placed the hold on your account for more information.
- Complete student loan exit counseling by May 9
- If you are graduating in May or December and have borrowed Federal Direct Student Loans while enrolled at Saint Mary's, you are required to complete your exit loan requirements to receive your diploma. Online exit counseling can be completed at studentloans.gov by logging in with your FSA ID. You will see the online exit counseling requirement on PRISM after March 1 if you need to complete this step.
- In-person exit counseling is not required for graduate students but you are welcome to attend any of the sessions for undergraduates. Each session will last approximately 45 minutes. The session will provide you with valuable information on your loan borrowing history, repayment options, and personal financial planning. In-person sessions will be scheduled soon.
- Set-up or change your loan repayment plan
- Contact your student loan servicer. You can find your student loan servicer by logging into NSLDS.
- Order Graduation Announcements
Commencement Weekend Events
Below is a list of events that are of specific interest to graduate students. For a complete list of events, ticketing policies, and additional information about Commencement visit the College’s official Commencement page.
Monday, May 13
Alumnae Association Champagne Brunch, 11:30 am
There is no charge for graduates, but tickets must be picked up in advance from the Alumnae Office, 109-B Le Mans Hall. Tickets for parents and guests may be purchased. Call 574-284-4578 or email email@example.com for more information.
Friday, May 17
2 pm Hooding Ceremony, Master of Science in Speech Language Pathology, Carroll Auditorium, Madeleva Hall
4 pm Baccalaureate Mass
Saturday, May 18
8:30-10:30 am Graduation Brunch (guest tickets must be purchased by Monday, May 6)
11:15 am Graduates Assemble
Noon Graduation Ceremony
Sunday, May 19
Mass, Church of Our Lady of Loretto
9:45 am and 11:15 am