Saint Mary’s College is located just north of the city of South Bend, Indiana. Locally, the region is known as “Michiana” and includes cities and towns located in northern Indiana and southwestern Michigan. The area features affordable living, numerous venues for outdoor activity, arts, dining, shopping, and more. Whether you are here for a weekend or the semester, you will find plenty to do in Michiana.
A low cost of living doesn’t mean a low quality of life. You can live comfortably in downtown South Bend while maintaining a modest budget. With a wide range of housing options including off-campus apartments, condos, and houses for rent, students can find the right living accommodations at a reasonable price.
Dining and entertainment costs are also modest. From First Fridays to Seitz and Sounds, there are many free events, concerts, and festivals throughout the year. Downtown South Bend features a variety of restaurants, coffee shops, and live music venues. Additionally, Mishawaka and Granger offer numerous restaurants and shopping destinations.
The Great Outdoors
Saint Mary’s picturesque campus includes 100 acres of trees, gardens, manicured lawns, and historic buildings for you to explore. Just beyond campus there are several parks which offer something for everyone in each of Michiana’s distinct seasons. The St. Joseph River provides a great course for canoeing, kayaking and even whitewater rafting. The park system in South Bend, Mishawaka, and St. Joseph County offers myriad activities including mountain biking, hiking, cross-country skiing, tubing, disc golf, and camping. Additionally, there are many concerts, events, and festivals held in each of the parks in the region. Within an hour’s drive enjoy downhill skiing, the beautiful beaches of Lake Michigan, wine tasting, and much more.
Arts and Culture
If you enjoy art, theatre, live music, dance, or comedy, Michiana will keep you entertained. Venues throughout the region highlight the talents of local, regional, and national performers.
- Moreau Center for the Arts–Located on the Saint Mary’s Campus, the center houses the Little Theatre, Moreau Art Galleries, and O’Laughlin Auditorium. Patrons can enjoy national touring productions, prominent lecturers, and student productions each year.
- Morris Performing Arts Center–Nationally top ranked, the theater hosts a variety of performances including symphony, dance, national touring musical concerts, comedians, and Broadway touring performances.
- South Bend Civic Theatre–This community theatre company performs more than a dozen productions annually.
- South Bend Museum of Art–Works on view include historical Indiana artists and contemporary works in all media by artists from South Bend and beyond.
- South Bend Symphony Orchestra–Michiana’s premiere professional orchestra, the South Bend Symphony engages the community in the exploration of orchestral music in all its forms.