Reminding nursing students, even on their hardest days in school, why they became a nurse.
Saint Mary’s College invites nominations to recognize and celebrate nursing students for the above-and-beyond care and compassion shown to patients and their families.
Nursing school can be overwhelming and challenging at times, but it can also be incredibly rewarding. As students acquire skills that will impact the life and health of others, they must balance the pressures associated with classes, clinicals, exams, and life – all of which can make it easy for students to lose sight of the art of caring while learning the science of nursing.
Students with a true calling to nursing never lose sight of the fact that they are treating a human being who needs all the sensitivity and compassion they can bring to them.
The DAISY Foundation hopes that this program will inspire and motivate students to provide the best clinical skill possible and to impact patients and families with human spirit and kindness.
What is The DAISY Award?
The DAISY Award is a nation-wide program that recognizes nursing excellence. The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nursing Students honors nursing students for providing extraordinary care to patients and their families. The award recognizes student nurses for:
- Caring: Demonstrating extraordinary compassionate care of patients and their families.
- Advocating: Going above and beyond and serving as a voice for the patient’s needs or wants.
- Leading: Being an extraordinary team member, demonstrating professionalism and outstanding clinical skills. Working with peers to improve the nursing profession and patient care.
All DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nursing Student Winners receive the following:
- The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nursing Students Certificate
- DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nursing Students pin
- Hand-carved tabletop statue entitled “A Healer’s Touch”
Nominate an Extraordinary Nursing Student
Anyone can nominate a nurse. Patients, families, visitors, staff, coworkers, physicians, preceptors, teachers or managers may nominate a deserving Student Nurse by sharing a story of the outstanding care the nurse provided through the nomination form.
Criteria for the Nomination include:
- Demonstrates commitment to compassionate care of patients and families.
- Cultivates a connection with patients, families and peers by building trust and respect.
- Advocates strongly for patients and families.
What is the DAISY Foundation?
The DAISY (Diseases Attacking the Immune System) foundation was created in 1999 by the family of J. Patrick Barnes, who died at age 33 due to complications of an auto-immune disease. During Patrick’s eight-week hospitalization, his family was profoundly touched by the care his nurses provided that they created the DAISY Foundation specifically as a way to say “thank you” to nurses for their skill, kindness and compassion. Today, The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses is presented at over 3,000 healthcare facilities around the world.